When you get married, you’re signing on for a partner for life. But, sadly, death often gets in the way of this plan. The death of a spouse is traumatic and stressful. From dealing with the emotional fallout to planning a cremation service in Salt Lake City, UT, losing your spouse can greatly affect your life and even your health.
However, there are ways to deal with the loss of a spouse in a healthy and healing-driving manner. These tips can help you in your grief journey:
- Acknowledge the Loss – It’s easy to allow yourself to get lost in the planning and details of a death, like planning a cremation service, and not allow yourself to feel your emotions. However, it’s important to take time to acknowledge the loss and let yourself begin to process it. Letting yourself mourn and deal with the fact that your life has changed is the healthiest way to proceed.
- Take Care of Yourself – Grief can have both physical and psychological symptoms. You may feel exhausted or in pain after losing a spouse or may find it difficult to think clearly or process your emotions. Many people try to numb themselves to deal with the pain of loss by turning to drugs or alcohol. This is unhealthy in the long run. Instead, take care of yourself by eating right, exercising, sleeping, and talking to a therapist if you so choose.
- Avoid Major Decisions – Grief can cloud judgement or lead you to rash decisions. Try to avoid making major decisions after losing a spouse as you might not be thinking clearly after the loss. Put off decisions regarding moving or quitting a job till later, as any decision you make will be clouded by the loss of your spouse and might not be the best choice in the long run.
- Make a Plan for Personal Belongings – Take as much time as you need before taking this step but do make a plan for your spouse’s personal belongings at some point in your grieving process. It’s important to move on in the way that’s right for you, so do whatever feels right, whether its putting the items into storage, donating them to a charity, selling them, or leaving them where they are.
- Memorialize – Remembering and memorializing a lost loved one, and especially a spouse, can go a long way towards healing as it allows you to reflect on the good memories, love and happiness in a healthy way. You can make a memorial with a cremation urn, photographs, or custom art.
Dealing with the death of a spouse will never be easy, but these tips may help ease your process in small ways. Utah Simple Cremations offers expert and compassionate Salt Lake City, UT cremation services from 4377 S State St Murray, UT 84107. We are honored to help you in any way we can after your loss. Call us today at (801) 910-5317 to learn more about what we can do for you.